Chocolate Breakfast Smoothie

I did A LOT of searching on Pinterest for breakfast ideas. I am so great at meal planning lunch and dinner but then in the mornings I am always scrambling to think of good things to start my day. We pretty much stopped buying cereal except for the occasional box of Grape Nuts a couple of years ago but before doing that, I didn't think what we'd replace cereal with. Toast and eggs is great (and cheap!) but I can only eat that like 2 days in a row. So what about the other days? Thanks to Pinterest, I discovered smoothie bowls, overnight oats, freezer breakfast ideas, and CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIES! Yes! Chocolate for breakfast! AND BONUS! No refined sugar in them! I tried several recipes like this one (one of our faves) and this one (not one of our faves). I settled on a sort of combo recipe because while the first one I linked was our favourite tasting, our blender was too weak (thank you $20 Target blender) to handle it without a lot of extra work, so this one I came up with tastes good and is easy for those of us with cheap blenders to make work! Before settling on this recipe, I also tried adding frozen spinach or kale to the smoothies for an extra serving of veggies, and it worked ok... The taste was fine, couldn't tell at all the greens were there, but again, thanks to our cheap blender, I had to add a lot of extra liquid to get it to blend up and then it wouldn't be a thick smoothie. So add greens to this if you want and if your blender lets you!

Ingredients:
2 frozen bananas
1 1/2 c milk (or almond milk)
2 T natural peanut butter (no added sugar or hydrogenated oils!)
2 T cocoa powder
1 T honey

Blend it all up and serve!


Comments

Popular Posts