Pulled Pork

I was looking at the ads while I was meal planning for this week, and pork shoulder was on sale for really cheap and I decided I would try my hand at doing pulled pork. I started doing some research and couldn't really find a recipe for the flavor I wanted so I just decided to wing it and do my own recipe. When we got to the store, they were out of pork shoulder but I decided pork butt would work just as well and it was also on sale! Bonus! I got everything else I needed and was still thinking up a recipe. I wanted it to cook overnight in the slow cooker so at about 11:30 last night, I got to work. I made a dry rub out of brown sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder and rubbed it all over the pork. I then made the liquid it was going to cook in right in the slow cooker. I put the pork in, set it on low, and went to bed. When I got up I went and flipped the pork over so the top could cook in the liquid while we were at Church. When we got home, I shredded the pork, which was so easy because it was so tender, it just fell apart. The bone was seriously completely clean because the pork fell right off it. Before putting the pork back in, I pulled out almost all the chilies and added some more brown sugar and then put the pork back in to cook in the liquid for a bit. I drizzled some olive oil on the buns and toasted them in my grill pan so they wouldn't get so soggy. And then it was finally time to dig in! I loved this pulled pork! It was so tender and juicy. It was sweet with some spice too it, but it wasn't hot. I like spice, but not heat. It was also so easy which is so nice sometimes!!

Recipe:
3 lb pork butt, shoulder, etc
1 c brown sugar
2 1/2 T chili powder
1 T garlic powder
3 c Dr. Pepper
2 small cans of diced green chilies
1 chipotle pepper
1 T adobo sauce (chipotles are canned and packed in adobo sauce)
1/2 c brown sugar

Mix 1 c brown sugar, chili powder, and garlic powder together. Rub onto all sides of the pork. In a slow cooker, add Dr. Pepper, green chilies (I didn't drain any liquid, just dump the whole can in), chipotle and adobo sauce and stir to combine. Turn the slow cooker on low and carefully place pork in liquid. Let cook for about 8 hours and then flip over. Let cook 3-4 more hours and carefully pull pork out. It will start to pull apart so it helps to have another person help get it out onto a plate. Shred the pork and before putting back in, scoop out the chipotle and as many of the chilies as you can. Add the 1/2 c brown sugar and stir. Put pork back in and let cook on high for about 30 minutes. You could cook it longer and it would be just fine. I was just too hungry to wait any longer! We had this as a sandwich today but will use the meat for tacos tomorrow!




Comments

Popular Posts