Apple Crisp and Holiday Weight

I can't say it enough, I love this time of the year! There are many things to love, but one of my favourites is... The food! I got a gift card to Macaroni Grill from my work a little while ago as a congratulations for passing my licensing exam and we used half of it when I first got it. We used the rest of it last week and it was so fun! We wanted to use the rest of the gift card so we went a little crazy and ordered 3 desserts. We shared a bowl of salted caramel gelato and then each got a dessert. The gelato was delicious! I got the cheesecake and Greg got the lemon cake. Their cheesecake has a shortbread crust! Such a genius idea! I love all the desserts that come with fall and winter. I don't always love the weight I gain but it's worth it. Last night I made apple crisp and used my mom's recipe. I made apple crisp a couple weeks ago with a recipe I found online and it was good, but it wasn't my mom's apple crisp. So I got my mom's recipe and made it last night and it was much better. Greg couldn't stop raving about it. It is really easy to make too.
5-6 cooking apples (I used Braeburn and Jonagold because that's what I had on hand)
1/4 cup of sugar,
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp lemon juice (I did about 2 teaspoons)
For the crisp part:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
Preheat oven to 350. Peel, core, and slice the apples. Put them in a plastic bag and add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss the apples in the bag to coat in sugar mixture. Add the water and lemon juice. Mix well and add to a greased 9x9 pan. In a bowl, add the brown sugar and flour. Cut the butter in, I used a pastry cutter. When the butter is mixed in, crumble on top of the apples. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is just browned. Mmm so good. 
I've been binge watching Food Network and it makes me so excited for Thanksgiving! I am so excited for turkey, pies, rolls, and potatoes and gravy. Just a couple more weeks! Let the count down begin!

Comments

Popular Posts