A Great Way to Grill Fish and Peach Mango Salsa

I love grilled fish. The light smokiness gets into the fish and really enhances the taste of the fish. But I always have a problem with fish sticking to the grill. If you use a cedar plank, that is always delicious and I love using cedar planks. But sometimes you just want something different you know? And then I was watching The Kitchen on Food Network and Sunny Anderson blew my mind! She took fat lemon slices and skewered 4 of them together to make a little plate for your fish to sit on. You throw the whole thing on the grill and voila! This was fresh in my mind when Greg and I went shopping Thursday night. We have a goal to spend less money eating out so while we were shopping on student discount day, I had the idea to create a meal for Friday night just using what was on sale and what looked fresh and good. Since Friday night is usually when we end up eating out I thought it might be good to find something easy, cheap, and delicious to cook Friday night and then it would be just as easy as going out but considerably cheaper! When I saw the perfect, fat, pink salmon on sale, I knew exactly what I wanted to cook. I channeled my inner Sunny Anderson and headed right for the lemons after getting my salmon. I wanted to do something different so I decided to try making a salsa so I could use up some ingredients I had on hand at home and using some fresh produce from the store. The peaches were on sale and looked delicious and so did the mangoes! I knew exactly what I wanted to do and I was so excited to cook. But I had to wait until Friday. Finally Friday came and I got cooking! I got my brown rice cooking in the oven, made my salsa, and then got my lemon skewers ready. The skewers were easy but they did get a little messy. Or maybe I just had extremely juicy lemons. Basically, just give yourself a big work surface to do this. I took two lemons and sliced 8 thick slices. I took 8 skewers that had been soaking in water and started to put them together. Skewer 2 slices on one skewer and 2 slices on another skewer. Put them together and boom! Salt and pepper your fish and put it on top of the lemons. Then you can use the skewers to put on the grill. This is what the lemon skewers looked like


It was so easy and so good! The fish was caramelized on the outside, flaky and lemony inside. Loved it! Thank you Food Network! We served it with coconut rice and the peach mango salsa.

Peach Mango Salsa
One peach, skin removed and diced
One mango peeled and diced
Half a jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1/4-1/2 a small red onion, diced
2-4 T chopped cilantro (we like a lot of cilantro so we used a lot)
Juice from 1 lime
Combine the first 5 ingredients and then add the lime juice.

I thought the peach and mango together would be too sweet, but the heat from the jalapeno, the bite from the red onion, and the acidic brightness of the lime juice really balanced everything out and made for a delicious bite. It was great with the salmon and coconut rice and I bet it would be fantastic on fish tacos too!


Comments

Popular Posts