Recipe Tracking

Do you ever have the problem of finding an amazing recipe on Pinterest or in a cook book or magazine and then you can't find it again?? I do and it is the worst! I also have a problem of not trying many recipes more than once because I just want to create new things and try new recipes. But I keep hoping if I keep all my recipes in one place, like this blog, I will easily be able to look back and remember how tasty some of the stuff was. Then when Greg says he really likes something, I'll be able to make it again!

I have made this incredible cream sauce like 3 times now over the last month or so. I saw on the first episode of Daphne's Dishes she made a blistered tomato sauce or side dish... I don't really remember because I'm pretty sure it was last year that I saw it. Or at least a few months ago. But I liked the idea of turning that into a creamy sauce. The first time I made this sauce I served it over tilapia, because it's kind of a boring fish, but it's cheap and it's fish! We've also had it on pork chops though and it's even better! This is such an easy sauce to make and I bet it would be just as good on chicken. It can go with rice or pasta!
Grape Tomato Cream Sauce
Olive oil for cooking
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
Half pint of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Half pint of heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil to taste
Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil into a skillet and once heated to medium, add the minced garlic and stir for about 20-30 seconds, so it doesn't burn. Add the sliced tomatoes and let cook for about a minute, stirring frequently. Add the cream and keep stirring while you pour it in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for about 15 minutes keeping the heat on medium-low. It will turn slightly pink and it will smell amazing! Chiffonade some basil (place leaves on top of each other, roll up, and slice thinly) and once the sauce is done cooking, add to the sauce. Turn the heat of and stir to combine.
P.S. I don't even like tomatoes that much, but when they are cooked like this, they get so sweet and yummy! I love them like this!

If you've been on Pinterest, I'm sure you've seen recipes for 4 ingredient peach or strawberry frozen yogurt. The pictures make it look so delicious but I am always skeptical of anything that has Greek yogurt in it. Why? Because I do not like it. I think it is one of the worst things ever! But I really wanted something healthy but also dessert-y one night and I had a million peaches on hand (thanks Grandma!) so I figured it was worth a shot. I got the recipe for the peach frozen yogurt here and followed the directions exactly! Oh man it was good! I couldn't taste the tangy-ness of the Greek yogurt which was a score for me. I did add a fair bit of honey because I wanted it to be sweet and I didn't regret it. Greg and I both loved it! So naturally we add to try the strawberry kind as well and we loved that one too. We did like the peach one better though.



I don't know if you guys have discovered Damn Delicious but it is one of my favourite food blogs. Everything I have made from her site has been amazing! She has a recipe on there for Panda Express copycat chow mein and I love it! I think it's as close to their chow mein as you can get at home. I'd made it once before but of course waited like 8 months to make it again because I have a problem. It is so delicious and I just did very easy pork chops with salt and pepper cooked in olive oil to have with it. The chow mein does take some prep work so I like that I can just have something easy to go with it.

I try not to bake too much because it's just me and Greg and it would not be good for the two of us to eat a whole cake before it went bad. I bake cookies a fair bit because cookie dough freezes! But cakes or brownies are a little harder... But this last Sunday I wanted some chocolate cake so badly! Greg is not a huge fan of cake so I figured to try and sell him on it, I'd try a new icing recipe that he would like. Pinterest to the rescue! As usual. Since it was Sunday I needed a recipe that only had ingredients I had on hand. There were so many amazing looking recipes, but I didn't have everything on hand. I finally came across a recipe here for caramel icing. Caramel chocolate cake? Yes please! I just made a Betty Crocker cake mix because she's my home girl and I love her cakes. Yes I know it's from a box but I don't care. I think they're delicious. Once the cake was cool I made the icing and iced the cake. I added a little Kosher salt to the top because who doesn't love anything salted caramel? Greg was in love with the cake and fortunately, my cousin Jacoby came over for dinner that night and he was able to take some off our hands. It worked out pretty well!
For dinner that same night, I made this maple ginger roasted pork tenderloin and it was delicious! The pork stayed so juicy and moist! The sauce was sweet and sticky with a little spicy kick from the ginger. We just had it with frozen seasoned French fries. Since I'd already baked a cake and made the pork and a salad (it was delicious and the recipe's coming), I was feeling lazy so French fries it was! The seasoned fries with a little of the maple ginger sauce on them was a fantastic combination! And another win for this dinner was that I found a kale salad I actually liked! Kale is so good for you, and I know that, so I have tried to use it before. I love it roasted in the oven to make crispy kale. But raw... just not my favourite. But this kale citrus salad from the Pioneer Woman completely changed my mind on raw kale! The dressing was so bright and citrusy and there was a great heat that came from the jalapenos, it was just incredible! The little bites of mandarin throughout were fantastic! I think the key though was dressing the kale and letting it sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes. I read somewhere that letting the kale sit in the dressing for 15-20 minutes before serving helps the kale break down a little more and makes it a little easier to eat. Totally worked. I loved it!


Comments

Popular Posts