Freezer Breakfast "Bowls"

Week day mornings are really crazy for me. Probably because I stay in bed until about 30 minutes before I need to leave and that does not leave a lot of time to get everything ready you need for the day. So usually this means I'm bringing a packet of instant oatmeal to eat at work or some toast to eat in the car. That usually leaves me looking for a snack just a couple hours after that so I wanted something more filling, I wanted some protein in there! Last week my co-worker was talking about how he bought a bunch of those freezer breakfast bowls, you know with hash browns, eggs, and bacon or sausage in there?, on sale and how much he loved them. And I thought, "I bet you could make that at home and it would be so much cheaper! And I can season everything how I want. So I bought a 5 pound bag of russet potatoes on sale for $1.50, 18 eggs for $2.80, and a pound of bacon at $2.65. Usually I can find bacon for cheaper when it's on sale, but I didn't plan ahead, but still not a bad price! The whole process from start to finish took about 2 hours, but there was some down time in there, so I wasn't even working the whole time. And Greg helped me which was awesome! We baked 10 potatoes (didn't even use the whole bag!) at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. While the potatoes were baking we scrambled 20 eggs and seasoned with some garlic salt and chili powder (my favourite combo for eggs and hash browns). We cooked the eggs slightly less than we normally would since we figured they would cook a little bit more during the reheating process. After pulling the potatoes out, we just let them sit for a few minutes so they were cool enough to handle. While those were cooling, the bacon went into the oven. We only did 10 slices of bacon so we have some bacon to use at another time. When the bacon was crispy, we pulled it out and let it drain on some paper towel. We diced up the potatoes and after draining some of the bacon fat off the pan, dropped the hash browns on it and seasoned again with garlic salt and chili powder. I tossed well. And baked in the oven for about 20 minutes. Since I never have room in my freezer for containers I decided to do foil packets. So I started getting pieces of aluminum foil ready for packaging these up. All that was left to do was put some hash browns on the foil, then some eggs, then some crumbled bacon, wrap it all up and toss it in the freezer. We got 11 meals in 2 hours for about 65 cents each! Open the corners of the packet and throw it in a 375 for about 20 minutes. I had one for breakfast this morning and it was delicious! And filling.




Comments

Popular Posts