Stuffed French Toast

We had a crazy weekend this last weekend. It was just go, go, go all weekend. It was really fun, don't get me wrong! But late Friday night I decided I wanted to take the time Saturday morning to make something delicious and new for breakfast to get us going. So we made a quick run to the store and I dreamed all night about stuffed French toast. Well, I don't think I really dreamed all night about it, but I was excited to try something new. Saturday morning I got to work. I experimented a new custard and a new technique and filling. I was nervous it wasn't going to be good... But how can you go wrong when half and half, Nutella, and delicious jam are involved?

Filling:
2 oz softened Neufchatel, or regular cream cheese
1-2 T jam, to taste (we have this amazing black cherry, blood orange, raspberry jam that I used, but any jam would be delicious!)
Whip the two together in a bowl and set aside.

Custard:
3 eggs
3-4 T half and half
1 T brown sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 T cinnamon
2-4 1 1/2" thick slices of French bread or similar.

In a bowl, mix together eggs, half and half, salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside. Take bread slices and cut a slit in the bread, on the crust side, almost all the way through. Make sure to cut the slit in the middle mostly, leaving uncut bread on both sides of the slit. Use a spoon to gently spoon the jam/cream cheese mixture into the slit in the bread. Don't fill too full or the filling will fall out and burn when you cook it. Dunk the stuffed bread into the custard and cook over medium-medium high heat to your liking.


Comments

Popular Posts