Oven Pulled Pork

Last year for Super Bowl Sunday I came up with this pulled pork recipe and Greg and I both loved it. It's that time of year again when cheap pork roasts are even cheaper than normal, so pulled pork here we come! I forgot to thaw my pork roast in time last Sunday so I knew I wouldn't have time to make the pulled pork in the slow cooker like I did before. I also realized I didn't buy canned green chilies to go in it. And I was short on Dr. Pepper. So I thought I'd change the recipe and cook the pork in the oven. I  made some adjustments to the recipe and hoped for the best! Incredibly, the result was even better. I am a huge fan! The slow cooker is great for when it's too hot to have the oven on for 6 hours, but man, the flavour was delicious and the roast was so tender. We had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner and lunch the next day and then I made pulled pork pizza (WOW it was delish!) and there was even a little bit left over after that for Greg to have a couple pulled pork tacos. And we're not even sick of it, I plan to make it again this weekend. Here's the recipe I used this time:

1 3 pound pork butt roast
1 cup brown sugar
3-4 T chili powder
1 T garlic salt
4 chipotle peppers
1 c Dr. Pepper

Preheat the oven to 275. Mix the brown sugar, chili powder and garlic salt together until well combined. Rub all over the pork roast forming a crust. In the bottom of a baking dish, put the 4 chipotle peppers and rest the roast on top of that. Carefully pour in Dr. Pepper. Put in the oven and cook for 5 1/2 hours. Leave the oven on but let the pork rest for about 10 minutes. Take out the chipotles and discard. Shred the pork and put the meat back into the baking dish. Move it around so the pork all gets covered in the juice left in the dish. Put back in the oven for 10-15 minutes and then serve.






Comments

Popular Posts