Sugar Cookie Cups and Lemon Cheesecake Mousse

On Saturday we had a BBQ with a bunch of friends and it was so much fun! Thanks Shannon and Jonathan for hosting! It was a potluck and there was so much good food! I brought a dessert. I'm really trying to improve my baking, but I don't want to bake that often because then I'm "forced" to eat all the baked goods before they go bad! Not such a good thing when you're trying to cut back on sweets. So any chance I get to bake and not be left with a bunch of desserts, I take it! Since we were doing a BBQ and it feels like summer is just around the corner, I wanted to do a summer-y dessert. Something with berries or lemon. Naturally, I turned to Pinterest. I found this recipe for lemon cheesecake mousse and it looked so good! I was trying to think of a way to make this into a more BBQ friendly dessert though, you know, hands only. It can be hard to eat with utensils if you aren't sitting down and eating. I remembered a couple of years ago I was cooking with my mom, grandma, and sister and we wanted dessert! We tried to make sugar cookie cups like I'd seen on Pinterest, but they puffed up and spread too much and it was delicious but definitely not a cup! I started looking for a recipe for sugar cookies that maybe wouldn't spread or puff up. I found these sugar cookie cups and thought I'd try it! A sugar cookie cup filled with lemon cheesecake mousse and topped with whip cream was exactly what I was looking for. I did make a few changes to these recipes though. I don't know exactly the science behind baking, but my sugar cookie dough was SOOO sticky and I wondered if because I'm in Utah and at a higher elevation, if that effects the dough? Who knows? But I just added about an extra half cup of flour. It was still on the sticky side, but I could handle it at least. While I was putting the dough into the muffin tins, I made sure the dough was super thin. On the bottom I could almost see the muffin tin. I was so paranoid that they'd get too puffy to work as cups. I set the timer for 8 minutes but checked on them at about 5 minutes. I was glad I did too! They had puffed up to fill the whole cup! They were pretty soft still, so I let them go another minute and then took a little spice jar that fit perfectly in there (don't worry, it was sanitized), and pushed the cookie down. After just a little pushing, it formed the perfect cup shape. I did that to all the cookies and put it back in to bake for another 3 or 4 minutes. For the filling, I didn't change much at all. I added an extra tablespoon of lemon juice because I really wanted that flavour. I also used Neufchatel in place of the cream cheese. I love Neufchatel because it cuts way down on the fat and calories and I personally can't taste a difference between that and full fat cream cheese. The mousse was so light and fluffy and lemony! I was so pleased.








Photo by firelight! Courtesy of a broken selfie stick!

Comments

Popular Posts