Gourmet Night Recipes

Some women in my church get together once a month for a gourmet night. There is a theme each month and everyone signs up for a dish that goes with the theme. Someone signs up for the salad, someone for soup, appetizer, main dish, side, bread, dessert, drinks, everything. I went to my first one in January and loved it! The theme for January was "New" so it could be a new ingredient, new recipe, new kitchen tool, something to go with your resolution, etc. I made a fennel citrus salad because fennel is one of my new favourite veggies. This salad is seriously so refreshing and bright!

Citrus Fennel Salad
2 heads of fennel, green parts, core and outer layer of the bulb removed and the rest of the fennel chopped up
1 red grapefruit, peeled, segmented and wedges cut in half
2 clementines, peeled, segmented and wedges cut in half
Reserve some fennel fronds for garnish (the green, leafy tips of the fennel)
For the dressing:
2 T lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
3-4 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, mustard, honey and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking constantly. I start with 3 T of oil and if it's not quite emulsified yet, slowly add the last tablespoon while whisking constantly. Add the fennel and citrus to a bowl. Add a little of the dressing and toss everything to combine. Add more dressing as needed, but you might not use all of it. Garnish with the chopped fennel fronds.






Someone else at gourmet night brought something that blew my mind. She brought pulled pork tostadas. Except the "pork" was actually jackfruit! Are you kidding me?? It looked like pork and the tostadas were delicious! They were so good that I made them again just a few days later for dinner. I followed this recipe for the jackfruit and the cashew crema sauce (except I didn't soak my cashews for 24 hours which I later learned is the best practice). I did a different mango salsa though, recipe below. These tostadas were seriously good. Even Greg who loves pork couldn't believe how good these were. Really, try them out y'all!

Mango salsa:
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 T minced red onion
1 c grape tomatoes, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
1-2 T chopped cilantro leaves
Juice of 1 lime

Add all ingredients except lime juice to a bowl. Toss to combine. Add lime juice and mix well.



Comments

Popular Posts